Wednesday, August 10, 2011

October rain Cloud


the poui blossoms are different this year
subtle and soft like yellow fingertips
stretched across barbed wire fences
while feet are planted in boots
stuck in mud as thick as an October rain cloud
an inch is all that is needed
for skin to embrace skin
but no one can move
or wants to move
since fear grips like a tranquilizer
numbing emotions
and I am slowly forgetting
how to feel
yellow petals fall around me
smiles mask remnants of the love I remember
erasing the longing I carry inside my back pack
ever since I stitched and ripped and stitched and ripped
and stitched my heart shut from feeling
i am on a journey to bury the past
sprinkling flowers in this tear-soaked pillow soil
waiting for the first shoots of something
to grow
that doesn’t resemble any fruit
I’ve tasted before.

C. 2011 by Paula Obe

First published by 
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/caribbean+writers,

No comments:

Post a Comment